Thirty miles out to sea, due south of Cape Cod, Massachusetts, Nantucket Island is a popular summer destination with a population swell of up to five-times its year-round population. The Island is known for its pristine beaches – late 18th and early 19th-century architecture and active lifestyle complete with multiple bike paths, golf courses, and a multitude of fishing and watersport options. With a booming dining and nightlife scene, the island is a veritable playground for families, singles and couples alike.
Home to some of the highest real estate values in the United States, Nantucket caters to a privileged community with high-end boutiques, fine-dining and luxury accommodations. However, some of the island’s greatest pleasures can be found in simple walks along the Conservation Land trails (over 40% of the island is maintained as conservation land) or in its historic downtown area, designated a National Historic Landmark District in 1966. Playing host to various annual festivals throughout the year, including Fall’s Cranberry Festival, the Christmas Stroll in early December, Spring’s Daffodil Festival followed by the Wine Festival as well as summer’s popular Film and Comedy Festivals, Nantucket is an appealing destination year-round.
Know Before You Go
1. Many of the island’s popular take-away eateries, including beloved ice-cream spot, The Juice Bar, are cash-only establishments.
2. Cisco Brewery, Nantucket’s local beer, wine and spirits operation, near Cisco Beach, makes for a fun post-beach activity, even for the whole-family, with local food trucks and bands playing in the courtyard.
3. Siasconset, or Sconset, is a small village on the east end of the island championed for its slow pace, quaint shingled cottages and a charming cliff walk along the bluff.
4. Nantucket is frequently referred to as the “Grey Lady” on account of the blanket of fog that often engulfs the island.
Tradewind Shuttle scheduled flights are available to Nantucket from two New York area airports. Shuttle flights are seasonal from April through December.
Regular commuters benefit from significant savings with ticket books.
- Already ticket book holder? Login to your account to purchase
- Not a ticket book holder? Click here to sign up today!
Private Charter flights are also available to Nantucket (ACK).